Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas 2011

This year was the first year we have spent just as our immediate family. It was very different not to have to travel and pack and plan for a holiday for a change. It was amazing to hang out in our own house on Christmas Eve and track Santa on NORAD's website with  the kids. We started tracking early in the morning when Santa was in Australia and the kids headed to bed just as he was leaving Europe. They went to bed so quickly and we didn't hear a peep out of them until 6 AM the next morning when Baleigh came in and asked if she could check and see if Santa had left her anything. She woke Thor up and it was game on from there.

I loved having a quiet morning with just them. We didn't have to make them wait for other people to wake up and come over or pack them into a car and head to someone else's house. In a word it was 'amazing'.

Thor and his Christmas Loot

Baleigh and her treasures!
The kids went to the playroom to check out their stuff while I headed to the kitchen to get lunch in the oven. I had prepared the traditional "Sawyer Potato Rolls" that are  a staple at every holiday meal now, the night before and for once they turned out perfectly! We had a ham and fancy green beans that Jake prepared ( they are delicious with tomatoes and garlic and herbs- but he has to make them because they don't turn out if I do.) and mashed potatoes. The pumpkin pie was the best one that I have ever made as well. I guess it was just the year for things to be perfect.

We watched White Christmas and Holiday Inn (two of my favorite Christmas movies since I was a kid) and after lunch Baleigh and I took a long nap. It was a perfectly lovely day but I am looking forward to spending it with family next year. My sister pointed out that with us moving back next year there will be 7 new people at the celebration. With our family of 4 and the 3 babies that are due between now and June it will be quite a gathering. I can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment