Thursday, May 2, 2013

Like a Fine Wine

I am starting to think of our life as a fine wine. It just keeps getting better with time. This last week we had some fun developments. AWANA is over for the summer but on the last day one of the mom's who I socialize with there and at a few other community events asked if I would like to keep up a Wednesday meeting. This week I cooked dinner for both of our families and next week it will be at her house. We had an absolute blast hanging out and the kids spent three hours of playing with .... drum roll please. No fighting, tears, tattling, or owies. Before they left they all went back to the kids' rooms and helped my kids pick up the toys that they had all gotten out. HOLY MOLY I LOVE THIS MOM! Seriously. I always tell my kids that it is polite to help your friends pick up before you leave and I have NEVER had another child over who helped my kids before. Usually we are doing it after everyone leaves.

While they were here Angie and I  popped next door to do some dumpster diving. They are selling the house and had loaded up an industrial sized dumpster with fun stuff over the course of the day. I am now the proud owner of a dresser! This may not sound awesome to everyone but in the 8 years that Jake and I have been together I have not had a dresser. Jake and I share one dresser and it is not easy to fit everything for two adults in one - in case you were wondering. I also acquired several end tables, a lamp that has real potential and a HUGE roll of insulation. I was just telling Jake the other day that I wanted to insulate and finish the garage this summer and now I have the start of it for FREE!

I love having a new friend who is frugal, and funny, and shares my views on raising children to be respectful and kind, without being a crazy straight laced nut job. The best part is that they live just a few minutes away and I see lots more play dates in our future.

This weekend I am throwing Jake a surprise birthday party and I am hoping that I can pull it off. I enlisted the help of a work friend who is taking Jake out to the movies and then to the driving range for the day so we can get the whole house set up and finish the food.


No comments:

Post a Comment