Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Onward and Upward

The past few months have been difficult for me emotionally. I felt alienated and it has taken some time to get past some feelings of resentment and anger. The past couple of weeks have showed me some great things though.

I started actually making friends at story time. There is one mom in particular that I get along with really well. She just moved here, has a daughter who is in Kindergarten (not Thor's class, but apparently they get along really well), and a daughter who is Baliegh's age. She is a coupon crazy and she is teaching me the ins and outs of how to maximize my family's grocery budget. This last week we included two other moms who are fairly new to story time to our conversation (who needs those clicky moms when we can make our own little group of frugal, down to earth moms). We had the best time chatting and getting to know one-another. It was so refreshing to have some outside conversation for a change. Since I stopped working outside the home I realized that even though I hated my job I liked seeing many of the people I worked with. It makes me appreciate what Jake did all the more. Not many guys could have thrived as a stay-at-home dad for two toddlers for the length of time he did. He really is quite amazing.

We have also been getting together with a couple from the area. Jake works with D and his wife is really great. We have gotten together and played cards, hung out and watched UFC fights, helped a friend move, and Jake has gotten together with D several times to play pool, or work on D's shop. It is so nice for Jake to have friends and the bonus is that D's wife, K is really great. We have similar hobbies and although they don't have kids they don't mind that we have a 3rd and 4th wheel with us at all times. : )

As I sit here with my cup of coffee enjoying a morning hanging out with my Baleigh Bean I am realizing that for the first time in a few months I am really content with where life has taken us. My new job is only part time right now but it is really fun and I love that I can do it from home, many times while the kids are occupied or asleep. It is perfect for our life right now. As an added bonus to life getting better, my mom talked with me about two weeks ago and offered up babysitting for Jake and I at least once a month. She told me that she thinks we should go on a date at least that often and Jake and I agree. We have our first one planned for this weekend. I am taking Jake to see Die Hard 5 as a belated Valentine's Day date. We might even go out for dinner!!! Things are looking up and my mood is exponentially better than it was at Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Heidi, I'm so glad to hear that! I could tell that things have been hard for you and have been praying. Being a stay-at-home parent is tough. And so is moving to a new(er) place and trying to make friends. And having young kids. And being around family again and facing expectations vs reality. Add those together, and it's SO overwhelming! I hope these new friends will be a real help to you and your family and you'll have more happy days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. I appreciate the prayers. I know that you and Jim have been through similar things so your input is invaluable to me on this stuff. I too am hoping and praying for more of these happy feeling days in our future. I am confident that there will be.

    ReplyDelete