Saturday, September 24, 2011

Final Farewell

Last night we had a Farewell to the 3 Shop Party. I invited everyone who I have worked with in my office over the last two years to come to our house for a BBQ( I was shocked that I even had my BN XO show up). We had ribs, burger, hotdogs, cheesy potatoes, chips with a savory Santa Fe Cheesecake(big hit), and cupcakes followed later by S'mores.

Almost everyone brought their kids along so there was more than enough action. As it got darker out the kids headed inside to watch Rio (we rented it at Redbox earlier), while the adults started up a fire in the fire pit and stood around telling work stories. I have never felt so loved as in that moment. In the three weeks that she has been in the unit my replacement has managed to infuriate every person I have worked with. She has a very special skill.

After about an hour in the house we had an impromptu fashion show put on by all the kids. They had discovered the dress up box with all our costumes and clothes in it and it was HILARIOUS. I wish I had taken some pictures. I have never had 10 kids in my house running around before. So I was a little shocked at some of the findings when cleaning up. : ) Empty juice boxes stuffed under couch cushions and plates of half eaten food everywhere. It could have been much worse so don't get me wrong I am not complaining.

One couple has a little boy that is a few months younger than Thor and a girl that is 8. They have already invited us over in a couple of weeks for a BBQ and asked if we could set up a play date with Thor and their son. That in and of itself is pretty exciting.

Jake is making friends too. My Platoon SGT is a big motorcycle guy and he rides with a bunch of combat vets. He invited Jake to come ride with him to try and make some biker friends. They are all older married settled down guys so they are just doing it to have some fun. Nothing scary or dare devilish about their club.

It was nice to have a successful gathering since most of our parties are complete failures. I am great at planning parties for other people but when it comes to my own I really don't do so hot at hostessing. Its a difficult balance between making sure everyone is having a good time and has someone to talk to and getting food out when there is a shortage or keeping the coolers filled with drinks. Jake and I did a really good job of picking up the slack when the other person was busy with something else. I guess after 11 years of being with someone you finally can anticipate the other person's needs. : )

I now feel ready to go into my new unit and learn all they have to teach me. I have been so stressed about it for months now and on Monday it is a reality. I couldn't be more excited- and today and tomorrow  I learn how to ride our motorcycle. wooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment