Sunday, September 18, 2011

Where were we....

Its been a while since our last post. In that time my replacement arrived in my unit and has caused no end of stress. She walked in and tried to own the place. Unfortunately she has never worked in an Air and Missile Defense Battalion before so she knew nothing of what she was talking about. In a week she had made almost every senior NCO angry and has verbally abused multiple junior enlisted Soldiers. I have felt really loved because everyone who has experienced her has begged me to try and stay. It has  been stressful trying to teach someone to do a very technical job and feel that they have not paid any attention or literally not taken a single note. I was supposed to teach her for a few weeks but after two weeks (10 days of that living in the field with her) I asked my boss for some vacation. I just needed a little break from it all before jumping into a new unit.

I always hate going to the field because I know how hard it is for Jake to never get a break at the end of the day. He is pretty amazing taking care of the kids and the house and everything that I normally do when I am gone. WE have a very unique life and I don't think anyone really gets how difficult it can be to be a  stay at home dad with no family support much less any other friends in the area that he can turn to. He is really quite amazing and I could not do what I do if I didn't have every confidence in him to keep things running smoothly in my absence. He's pretty perfect. 

Yesterday was a laid back day working in the yard, and taking afternoon naps. Then we went out to Mr Sno and got shaved ice. That is one of the kids's favorite treats in the summer. 




Two weeks ago Jake got his long sought after motorcycle. He has wanted one for years and it was just never financially in the cards. So as a 6th Anniversary present he got a 2011 Triumph America. It will function as our second car and I will drive it to work every day so he can have the freedom to take the kids out and about while I am gone. I am taking the driving class this next weekend. Being in the military there are quite a few requirements prior to being able to legally ride a bike. There is a basic riding course that one is required to take, then all the PPE (personal protective equipment) that I have to wear to be in regulation. I can only ride if wearing long sleeves, gloves, eye protection, helmet, boots that cover the ankle, long pants, and a reflective vest. Its quite alot during a hot summer day but the weather is cooling off so it should be pretty doable.

Below is Bean's halloween costume. I stared making it before I went out to the field and we snagged an awesome wig to finish it off when I got home. We still have to make the crown but she is all set for next month. Now its just a matter of having anyone know who she is.

1 comment:

  1. It's the Princess from Adventure Time!!! How could people not get it?? Love it!

    ReplyDelete