Saturday, March 26, 2011

CPL Vata

Yesterday I had the privilege to attend the Memorial Service of a member of my Battalion. I had only met this individual once or twice so I can't say that I knew him well. During the ceremony I sat directly behind his mother and sister.  As his fellow soldiers and friends walked to the front and talked about what a wonderful person he was I began to wonder what would be said if I was the one who's picture was standing before this crowd.

As a mother this was one of the hardest things to watch. How can you even imagine what it is like to bury your child? He was about to become a father to a little girl. He was great at this job and he loved it. It sounded like he had a perfect life. Then 8 weeks ago he was diagnosed with terminal cancer. 8 weeks! He went home, spent time with his family and then he was gone. He'll never know what it feels like to hold his first child in his arms. To look into her eyes as he walks her down the aisle on her wedding day. Never be able to grow old with the woman he has loved since high school. His life was cut so short.

Even though I didn't know this man I was overcome with emotion at all of these thoughts. For the sake of professionalism I kept my composure. However, when his mother walked up for the last salute ( this is at the end of a military memorial where you walk up to the front of the alter at the chapel and there are a pair of boots, a rifle with your dog tags and a helmet). His mother fell down sobbing and kissed his boots. It was all I could do to keep it together. A mother should never have to bury her child.

This will be a reminder for some time to come that every day is precious - so love the ones around you and make the most of every opportunity. You never know when your last day is.

No comments:

Post a Comment