Friday, February 18, 2011

FINALLY!

I just completed that last student loan payment that either Jake or I will make concerning our decade old debt! We are officially DEBT FREE!

We have been working toward this goal for a while now and we made it!!!! The last of our two big debts were our car and student loans. We paid the car off in October for our 5th Anniversary and now as a belated Valentine's gift we have paid off the remainder of what Jake owed on his student loan. My loan is still in existence but is finally being paid off by the Army as was our agreement 2 years ago when I joined.

It feels like everything worked itself out all at once for us financially. Just over 2 years ago we were struggling to make ends meet - not knowing if we were going to make the next month's rent or car payment. We had two babies and were stressed all the time. It feels as though a great burden has been lifted in those two short years. We are financially stable and on our way to a bright future. We can for the first time in our lives start saving for our future as well as our kids' futures.

I'm not going to lie, we're going to have fun with some of this too. Instead of driving home for my sister's wedding this spring we are FLYING!!! We haven't flown anywhere since we got married. It is going to be amazing not having to spend 3 days in transit to and from our destination.Who knows, we might take an honest to goodness vacation before I deploy this fall too!!! : )

We are just so excited to be moving into that next phase of life. It was a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get here but I can now attest to the fact that it is SO worth it!!!!

2 comments:

  1. SO exciting! I can't wait until we can say the same thing and be debt free! It's great to hear a story of someone making this commitment and following through. I hope you can enjoy the freedom that is coming with fewer bills and get that vacation before you deploy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you guys! That's incredible!!

    ReplyDelete