Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011- The countdown begins

Yesterday I came to the realization (even though I've known for a while) that this time next year I will be deployed. It has made me look at this coming year with a whole different perspective. I am a planner by nature and I love to have everything exactly as it should be. Being gone for a year is going to be a huge adjustment for all of us. I know that Jake and I are perfectly capable of getting through this but my main concern is how the kids are going to deal with it. Although they have no concept of how long a year is I have started to talk to them in very short conversations that mommy will have to take a very long trip in a while. I hope that this in some way helps them grasp what is happening when I actually do leave. I am so thankful that I was placed in the unit that I am in. It wasn't easy having to come to the South when I despise the weather down here so much but it has afforded our family so much time to be together. Almost all of my friends from army school's have deployed once an know when they will be leaving again. I on the other hand have been able to spend this entire last year and the majority of 2011 with my family here in the states. So my new year's resolution will be very different this year that it has been in the past. I resolve to make every day count. Opportunities to go to the park or ride bikes around the block will be taken. Messes can be cleaned up so there is no reason to get upset over finger paint or water all over the bathroom. Pictures will be taken at every opportunity along with as many videos as possible. And at no time will random hugs and kisses be taken for granted. I know it is only  a year but I am sad for the things I will miss. The first day of school, learning to read, all their new friends, and the holidays. So I challenge all of you to appreciate family in a new way this year. I know that I will.

3 comments:

  1. It has always been so hard for me to imagine how families deal with these deployments and time away from family. My heart goes out to all of you and the difficulties you will face. It is great to hear that it has put you in such an appreciative state of mind for the time you have together before you go. I pray that every day will be special and all those cuddles and fun moments will stick with you and sustain you all. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah, I always wondered the same things and then when you are living that life it just seems like that is how things are supposed to be. Although difficult at times it is so perfect as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,

    I love all of the traditions you have created with your kids through your army life- everything from the gingerbread houses to birthday travel weekends, you do make every moment count. So neat to know that those will be there special memories!

    We loved getting the chance to spend Christmas with you guys- you made SUCH a wonderful weekend for all of us. Adam and I decided it was one of our best holidays of all-time!

    ReplyDelete