Monday, August 15, 2011

Where is our summer going? Nowhere if you live in Texas!

We have just ended 44 straight days of 100 degrees or more. Don't think we have gotten a nice cold front either - it was 99 yesterday breaking the streak. They said it rained- but I didn't see it.

School starts next week and it doesn't feel like it because it is still so hot out. In theory we should have some fall like weather somewhere around November. Hopefully!

In the mean time we are starting to make Christmas plans/shopping, and in the preliminary stages of planning for the kids' 4th and 5th birthdays. Baleigh has already requested a bounce house and a butterfly cake like I used to have when I was a kid ( we've been looking at lots of old pictures lately). Thor wants to go to the zoo or back to Sea World again.

Thor was going to start pre-school this year back in Chicago but since we are staying here we looked into local schools. Unfortunately we discovered that he would have to go all day 5 days a  week and Jake and I felt that it just was not in his best interest to put him in a class room environment for that many hours a day. He just is not ready to sit and pay attention for that length of time yet. Instead Jake is preparing to teach them at home this year. I have to say I never though that that would be an option that I would choose for my kids. I always wanted to go to school and do all the "normal" things that other kids got to do. Now I just want to make sure my kids have a solid education and aren't put into a box by a teacher with 35 other kids to try and educate. Yet another adventure begins.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the school stuff! We're in a similar boat for Kiah. It's hard to imagine our active 5 year olds stuck in a big class for 8 hours a day! I hope the home schooling works well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete