Monday, June 20, 2011

Where has June gone?

Its less than a week until my birthday and I feel like I have no idea where June got to! Last week was an absolute whirlwind of activities. I was prepping for my big event for the year - Organizational Day! and the arrival of one of my best friends - Katie!

I have been planning the Org Day for about 8 weeks now. It is an annual picnic for my entire battalion. Last year it was about 800 people. This year it was more like 2,000+ people. I was in charge of organizing EVERYTHING. That included 4 different inter-mural activities, procuring sporting equipment, trophies, planning family activities for kids from baby to high school, finding a location, getting all the permits necessary to  host such a large event, and then there was the matter of food. I had 2,000 hamburgers, 18,000 hot dogs (buns to accompany both) and all the fixin's, salads, watermelon, chips, baked beans and a spectacular cake to end the day.

Two days  before the event my bread vendor called me to tell me that the individual tasked with picking up the bread had taken it upon himself the week prior to cancel half of my bread order so I was short about 1400 burger buns. I then had to scramble to find a place to purchase that quantity and within my budget. Lets just say some kid was doing some serious pushups to pay for the fact that he "thought" he knew what he was doing. [We ended up getting them due to my awesome shmoozing skills]

19 hours before the event the vendor for my salads [wal mart] called to tell me that they did not have the salads that i had ordered several weeks prior. When I questioned them as to why this had happened they tried to blame it on me! I not so calmly asked to talk to a manager and was put on hold- and then disconnected. When I called back I was told no manager was available but they would take my name and get back to me. I was TICKED! Three hours later Herb called me to see what my issue was. When I explained it he was so apologetic and although they could not get me the pasta salad and cole slaw that we had originally ordered he could get me a couple hundred pounds of mustard potato salad to fill the whole. AT NO COST to my Unit! He personally took care of my order and was a super awesome guy. I sent him a note of thanks for all his help. What an awesome guy!

There were multiple other issues the day prior to the event the last one being resolved about 10 hours prior to "game time".

The even went off beautifully. Although there were many hickups behind the scenes there was nothing that help up the show. I got major kudos from my BN Commander which is a huge deal. I am hoping for an award out of this one. : )


We picked up one of my best friends from college (Katie) on Friday afternoon at the Austin Airport and took her out to the Original Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood, TX. Unfortunately for her she visited during the first heat record breaking week we have had in central Texas in a while. It was never under 100 and reached 106 one day. So, we shopped, went to  the movies and out to eat. It was relaxing and a very laid back visit that I really enjoyed. There are some people that are just meant to be your friend and she is one of them. We can go a year without getting together with one another and when we finally do meet up its like no time has past and we are still best friends. We went out and saw Bridesmaids one night just she and I and it was HILARIOUS! It was good to get out with someone for a change. The kids love their Auntie Katie and I think the most memorable part of her being here for Thor was the games on her phone. She has a game called Angry Birds but Thor kept calling it "mad birds" - I thought that was so cute.

Katie headed home yesterday but we will see her in just about a week. We have made plans to take a central US driving tour. On Saturday we will leave on our trip. We will drive the first day from Texas to Memphis, TN. The plan is to check out Graceland since we didn't see it in November when we visited and hit up the legendary Blue Plate for breakfast. Sunday afternoon we'll head towards Nashville, making a stop in Mason, TN at Gus's Chicken for some spicy fried chicken (we saw this place on Best Thing I Ever Ate).

Nashville is the end point for our Sunday and where I get to spend my birthday this year! In Nashville we intend on visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Parthenon (sounds really cool) and catch breakfast at the Pancake Pantry (featured on Man Vs. Food Nation).

Monday afternoon/evening we'll continue on to Louisville, KY where we will spend the night. If we have time we might hit up the Dinosaur World in Cave City, KY. We stopped there two years ago right after I had got commissioned and it was great! In Louisville the plan is to hit up the Zoo since it is included in our membership to the Waco Zoo and we will get in for FREE! Then we'll swing over to the Slugger factory and take a tour of the factory.

That is going to be a big day but we will get back in the car and finish the day out in Indianapolis. We have made plans to get together with our old neighbors (who are actually moving to Fort Campbell that week) and then hit up the Children's Museum and maybe a water park while we are there.

Wednesday evening we will be heading up to Chicago for a few days. Although both Jake and I have spent a lot of time in the City we have not done some of the more touristy things there. This time we are pulling out all the stops. Baleigh and I are going to go to the American Girl Place and get her baby's hair done and maybe pick out a new outfit or two. Thor wants to go to the Museum of Science and Industry and check out the human heart that is big enough for a four year old to go through. WE are going to check out the Sears Tower since it is free to military and then go to the Water Tower Place for some lunch. We're going to get  a hotel down town so that we are right at the heart of the activity.

Friday we will be heading down to see Jake's family for a couple of days. Katie has extended the invitation to us for 4th of July to go out to a friend's farm and have a bon fire and set off fire works. I think that that sounds like alot of fun.

Tuesday we will start out for home and I will sign back in from vacation on 7 July. Lets just say I CAN"T WAIT!!!!! I just loved these pictures of Jake and the kids so i wanted to share.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe you planned that huge picnic! I think I would suck at doing something like that. Kudos for handling that and all the problems that went with it!

    Sounds like your trip will be really fun. You obviously have stuff pretty well planned, but if you wanted to go to the Brookfield Zoo or Art Institute, someone gave me a ton of free passes to both. Let me know if you want either. (Also not sure how close you'd be to Oak Lawn to pick them up, but just let me know if you do want to and we can figure something out.) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete