Sunday, June 12, 2011

First Plane Trip- Holly and Justin's Wedding.

About 5 AM on 1JUN11 we woke the kids up to take their very first plane trip. They were so excited to be going to see Grandma Jill and Grandpa Bob on "the farm". When we got to the airport there was a ridiculously long line in the security area for some reason. After we had been in line for about 15 minutes one of the TSA guys came up and started chatting up Jake and the kids. He saw my ACU colored back pack and asked if we were active duty. I said that yes I was and he instructed us to bypass the line that we were in and go directly to the Priority line where there was no one waiting. He then told us that most airlines recognize active duty military as Priority clients and that we shouldn't have to wait in line again.
The kids enjoyed the whole flying experience. Baleigh and Jake both took naps on the way to Chicago but Thor was awake drawing in his new note book the whole way. The kids have never used markers before so I got some short kid sized (washable) ones for the trip, along with some cool notebooks, and stickers. I also brought the Ipod and Thor quickly discovered a game called parachutes that neither Jake nor I had ever seen on it. When the flight attendant came by to see what we wanted to drink Baleigh asked for some pretzels. Although they don't typically serve snacks to non first class passengers she slipped a packet of trail mix to me for each of the kids. They were so thrilled.

When we got to Chicago we rented the car and headed to Jake's mom's place to pick her up for a Portillo's lunch. It was a little backtracking but so worth it! I was so proud that Baliegh at a whole Chicago style hotdog with out picking anything off. The only downside to going to the Portillo's downtown was that due to traffic and road construction we ended up not getting to my parent's place until about 6PM.
On Thursday I spent the day assisting my mom and sisters in decorating the reception hall for the wedding. We thought it was only going to be a couple of hours and it ended up taking all day. : ) It was fun working with my family on something like this. I wasn't able to make it to the last family wedding and it had been almost a year since I had been home so it was nice to spend some serious quality time with everyone.

When we got back home Jake and I packed the kids up and headed down to the Shannon area to visit some friends from Junior College. "Chuck" and Deanna have two girls Samantha (7) and Katlyn (5). Last  year when we were home we had had dinner with them Katlyn developed a slight crush on Thor. It was still here this year. She let him drive her mini "gator" around the yard and was excited to take him on his first tractor ride. We rode around the farm in a wagon and the kids LOVED it! For as hard as I have tried to get away from farm life my kids sure embrace it when they get there.
                                                          Thor and I at Culver's
                                                         Hannah at the Wedding Rehearsal
                                     Niece Emma (2yrs) wearing  a dress that Baleigh used to love
                              Niece Ivy (almost 1yr) - She was born when we were home last summer
                                                         My big brother Chris and Niece Ivy
                                        Sister-In-Law Tracie, Nephew Cole, Brother Chad, and Thor
The night of the rehearsal dinner I had planned a little Bachelorette party for Holly. From the picture above you can see our evening's entertainment ended up being pretty low budget (for those of you who don't recognize him - that's my dad!) He was just being goofy and it was HILARIOUS!!!
We played a few games that embarrassed my sister and I am pretty sure she LOVED every minute of it. It was just supposed to be the Bride's Maid's and sister in law's but my mom ended up coming along with one of my aunt's and another one of my cousin's. Thankfully I had a few extra gift bags!
                                         

                                       The morning of the wedding- before we got our hair done!
Only the 5 of us will know exactly what happened right before I took this picture- Those are genuine smiles!
                                                           Brother Caleb and Sister Hannah
                                             Niece Kylie and Baleigh in their wedding dresses
                                             Nephews Gage and Cole
                                 Mother and Father of the Bride - my mom had an awesome dress.
                                                        Emma and Baleigh sharing a laugh
                                                              Chilling on the porch swing
                                      Watering plants with Grandpa Bob before we left for the airport.
                                                            Dino in the O'hare Airport

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys got to have such a fun trip home! Where's the picture of you in your wedding garb, though?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to wait for people to post something either on FB or wait til the wedding pics come back. I can't believe I didn't get a single picture of Jake and the Kids and I together in our finery. In my defense I was SUPER busy helping out though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you could run a side business of party planning or event organizing! That's a lot of details!

    ReplyDelete