Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saint Barbar's Day Ball ~ 3 December 2010~


Last night was the 69 Air Defense Artillery St Barbara's Day Ball. Sounds glamorous doesn't it. It wasn't. The best part of the day was going to get my hair done at lunch and then pretty much having the rest of the day off- until I had to leave at 4:30 PM to go to the ball. I ripped my last pair of nylons before heading out the door so I had to stop at Kmart up the street to grab some- In case you hadn't heard-Kmart Sucks! lol. I linked up with my good friend and fellow Chemo 1LT Sarah White when I got there and we went as each others dates. Neither one of us had our significant other there so we took our formal picture by the tree together. You have what fun you can at these events.

I learned the story behind St Barbara and it was horrific. She apparently converted to Christianity and her father was infuriated. So after torturing his own daughter in the attempt to get her to recant he grabbed her long beautiful hair and beheaded his own daughter. The legend claims that flames then shot from her body and consumed it right before a bolt of lightning came from the sky and struck her father killing him and consuming his body as well. Pretty intense stuff.

I sat with all the guys from my shop and it was mildly entertaining. Thankfully CPT M. brought his wife and she was a joy to talk to. She just moved here from Germany so much of the conversation was explaining why people used certain phrases and explaining the rank system- I remember being the wife who didn't know anything and so it was fun to be able to help a sister out when it comes to being a military spouse.

None of us stayed to dance and we all got out of there as soon as we could. Our trinket to take home was a  glass boot mug. So now I am the proud owner of 2 boots. Classy I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment