Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day For Reflecting

Today is a date that will forever live in my mind a a life changing day in many ways. I got up to go to class 9 years ago with very little on my mind. When I walked across the Library quad on EIU's campus I never for a second thought that our country was being attacked. Sitting in that classroom watching over the shoulder of a dozen different students to try and see what was happening as the second tower was hit. It was a moment that I will remember clearly for the rest of my life.

I wouldn't say I was particularly patriotic. I was a pretty typical 21 year old. I thought about what I was going to wear, who I was going out with that weekend and how teachers were just mean for giving us homework to do over long weekends.

9 years late,r as an active duty member of the military and the wife of an OIF Vet, I am a very patriotic individual. I wear my uniform every day with pride, and fly my flag so that if there was any doubt about where my allegiance lies, it is with this country. When someone at a parade doesn't feel the need to stand and acknowledge our nations flag I am disappointed and sometimes angered that they don't realize the disrespect it is to someone like my husband - he lost friends to the war we are in, defending the one thing that we should all hold dear - Freedom. So the next time you go to the local parade for Memorial Day, 4th of July or whatever it is. When those individuals march by bearing our flag, stand up and take your hat off, hold your hand over your heart and take ten seconds to remember the men and women who have given their lives, as well as the ones who have sacrificed their time away from their loved ones so you can sit and enjoy a day with your family with no fear.

I am off to enjoy the day with my family. Tell yours how much you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment