Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mini Vaca and Family Reunion











Last weekend we took a trip up north to attend the anual Nielsen Family Reunion. We left right after I got out of work on Thursday (330PM) and started our 19 hr drive. We figured that we would drive all night so Jake had gone to bed when I came home for lunch and I put the kids down for their naps before I left to go back to work. That afforded at least one of us the opportunity to get alot of sleep prior to the trip.

We had planned a few fun car games to keep the midgets occupied during the daylight hours. We played a version of Eye Spy that included them looking for things out their windows that were on a card with pictures on it. Baleigh still struggled with the concept a bit but Thor loved it. He found a herd of deer, horses, a barn, a lake (it was really a river but who cares. lol) adn lots of other nature related things along with road signs.

WE stopped at about 8PM to get a quick dinner at Sonic and let the kids run around their playground for a while. THen we got right back on the road. At this point the kids started watching movies since it was too dark to look out the windows. When we stopped to get gas, and when we started the car again Baleigh said "lets rock and roll" such a champ in the car. I love that they are such good travelers.

Jake drove until we reached Missouri giving me a chance to get a couple hour nap. I drove through most of Missouri and until we reached Springfield Illinois. At that point the MT Dew was just not cutting it. I woke Jake up and he drove the remainder of the trip to Chicago. We reached the In-Law's place just shy of 1030AM.

Jake and I both went down for a 1.5 hr nap and then called Grandma Diane to see when she wanted to get together for a visit. WE then got back in the car and drove up the City thru Lolopoluza traffic (so many streets closed) and so the trip took about 2 hours. Not fun. However, when we finally linked up with Grandma we made up for lost time. We headed straight for the Rain Forrest Cafe where the kids had a blast. Thor's favorite part was that family of Gorrila's that shook a tree and beat on their chests. Baleigh however, loved the Elephant even though she woudn't touch it. The food was amazing and Grandma admired their smart eating choices - when offered chips, fries, bananas, apples or veggies as a side, they chose a banana each. :)

After the Rainforest we went down to the Wendela Boat Tour and hopped on the next available boat. (Again military friends this was really inexpensive for those with an active duty ID) It was a 90 minute architectural tour of the riverfront and the lake front as well. I learned so much about the buildings in our beautiful skyline that i had never known. The kids again were pretty much perfect- sitting when told and having a ball throwing flowers into the water when we got out on the lake.

Saturday Morning we got up bright and early - FYI leaving a one room hotel room to go for a run with either wake the kids up when you leave or when you get back. lol. Luckily for Jake it was when I got back. I set them up with cartoons so I could shower and then get everyone ready for the day. WE headed over the in law's place for a couple of hours before goign to Jake's Uncle Jim and Aunt Karen's place for the reunion. As always they were the perfect hosts with thing for the little kids to do and the adults as well. It was great seeing people we hadn't seen since Baleigh was in the pre-walking stage. WE were able to see Jake's brother Adam and his family as well. IT is hard to get together with everyone these days but everyone except Jer and Sarah were able to make it.

Sunday we had breakfast at Country CHarm and went over the the Nielsen house for a bit more visiting before heading out. I ran out and got the essential for a car trip - New movies from Red Box, lots of good snacks, and gas! WE got on the road about 1PM and Jake was an absolute champ. He drove the entire way home and we reached our driveway at 7:46 AM on Monday morning. Not a trip I want to have to take for a while but it was really nice going home for a mini vacation.

Even after a day of eating way more than I needed to and not having access to my regular meal options I managed to lose another 2 lbs that week! I was stoked since I was sure I had gained. I have now lost 10lbs in just a little over a month. I am trying to be to my goal by xmas.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun, even if it was a whirlwind. Glad you have such good traveling kids so you can do these trips every so often!

    ReplyDelete